From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 04:00:13 -0700
--- Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Sorry Joe W. but we are seeing things which we have
never seen before. The
>number one symptom of CCD in my opinion is an empty
hive. Bees gone!

Once again, I believe we are seeing devastation from
true CCD cases. I just do not believe that  ‘The
number one symptom; ‘bees gone’ should be credited
solely to CCD, as it seems to be the case nowadays.
There are a plethora of things that can cause ’bees
gone’.

I am in support of the CCD investigation, but the
habit of grouping all unexplained losses under the
category of CCD is IMO, counter productive, and will
hamper honest efforts to find the real cause.

> Sorry we do not see eye to eye on this problem Joe
> but you asked for an
> opinion.

If you are for beekeepers reporting diagnosed cases of
CCD, as CCD, and not reporting every unexplained loss
as CCD, then we see eye to eye.

If you want to collect as many losses as you can and
categorize them all under CCD, then we do not see eye
to eye.

I’m still waiting for a breakdown of losses,
how many are CCD,
how many are queen failure,
how many were AFB etc.

A symptoms I wrote earlier:
‘no bees’
‘mouse in hive’
‘no robbing’
are simply not sufficient data to arrive at any proper
diagnosis.
The best that can be applied here is that the
diagnosis is
inconclusive.

Best Wishes,
Joe