From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 01:43:23 -0500
I was reading an account on another list of a large Dakota beekeeper whose
mite control strategy is to requeen everything in the spring for the usual
reasons but also to give a brood break to slow mite growth.  He follows up
with thymol in August and says he gets good control. I put a few sticky
boards under some hives in December when I use oxalic just for the
satisfaction of seeing all the dead mites, so I know it is possible to get
a good kill when the mites are out in the 'open' as it were.   I am in an
area with an early honey flow so spring requeening is out of the question,
but I am intrigued with the idea of the purposeful brood break in the
summer.  We also had a beekeeper from Cypress, I believe, write in to say
they cage queens in the summer for the same purpose.

Is anyone in the US managing mites with a brood break?  I requeen with
cells, which can give a good long break.  I want to time it so that I can
hit the mites with formic or oxalic or thymol at just the right time in the
brood break to get maximum kill.  If I have a virgin or young queen in the
hive I want to be careful with formic I know so I need to give that some
thought.  Thoughts anyone?  Theories on timing?

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC