From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:31:53 -0500
On  9 Mar 97 at 21:15, Daniel D. Dempsey wrote: Thick brown gob

>  I checked it 2 weeks ago and it was building slow, today it is in decline
> with patches of sealed brood that did not look  rite when you open them they
> have a thick light brown gob that was the larvae.  It will pull out to about
> 1/2 Inch, There is NO smell like AFB. We had 2 cold mornings down to 28F
> last week.  There are eggs in open cells among the brood patches. Before I
> put the match to it does any one have any idea what this may be?

A couple of years ago I had something that sounds like this in one of our
production yards.
        The sealed brood looks good, older brood has patches that don't emerge.
the queen still lays a good pattern so the frames look normal.I put it
down to sac brood.
        After a great deal of fussing around (as nobody knew what it was) I
requeened, and that stopped it. Our was a definite failure of the queen!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks