From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:37:22 -0600
> "We are considering next year setting up enough plastic storage tanks
> to store at least a half  tanker load of fructose .....Are there
> other things we need to do beside add water before pumping in
> fructose and adding areation while filling the plastic tank to help
> prevent>crystalization"?.

I cover this in several places on my site.  One is
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/syrup/feed.htm

All that is necessary is to add ~10% of the estimated volume in
*sterile* water before filling.  The agitation of pumping mixes it just
fine.  The HFCS is hot when received and we have never had to agitate
again.  It also does not ferment as badly as sucrose syrup, given the
same concentration for some reason.  Should you not dilute it, the
resulting granulation is very soft, like a soft creamed honey, and
pump-able at room temp or above, with a little agitation.

>>>Maybe Allen will comment about fructose feeding in colder than
Missouri climates? I do not recall Allen feeding fructose but fructose
is the syrup Dadant and most bee supply houses in the U.S. sell and is
the easiest for us to get. 42% is available with a trip to "Oz"
(Kansas). 55% is only available off the tanker.<<<

55% is the good stuff IMO.  Never used the other.  I hear 42 is OK in
warm climates.

I've fed some type 55 for winter, and had great survival, but also know
that caged bee studies showed that sucrose resulted in marginally
greater longevity, so have always preferred sucrose for winter.

I prefer 55 over anything for spring feed.  It is nicer to handle, and
more like honey.  Bees love it.  Type 55 HFCS does not scum like
sucrose, and is not as corrosive to hands and leather.

Don't buy any off-spec HFCS.  Demand a quality assurance certificate.
It should accompany the load. The syrup should look just like water --
clear and colourless -- only very much thicker.

There are no solids in HFCS other than the sugars.  It is very pure, but
you buy an off-spec load, the acids in it can destroy the bees' abilty
to digest.  Check the archives on this.  There was a big suit over that
in Western Canada a few years back.  Don't know if it was ever settled,
but the problem was cheap off-spec product sold as bee feed.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/