Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:35:33 -0700
Hi to ALL!
I was wondering if any-one can tell me about the old English brown bee?
Around 1834 my GGGrandfather came from England and as far as I know
that before his death he had these brown bees, which he left to be eventually be
given,or left to my grandfather.  There are old tin pictures of runaway swarms.
Grandpa is dead now, but he did tell me that he had the bees in hives up
until about 1930's.  When growing up I always saw these swarms flying
through the
barn yard and grandpa would always say that those were his bees gone
wild.Last May I caught one of those swarms.  They are a little dark brown
honey bee.  I also bought a nuk of Buckfast. The buckfast is more of a golden
colour.  I just want to know for my own curiosity if the wild ones could be
decendants of grandpa's bees.  There is  and has never been anyone near us
with bees who was closer that 2 miles and that was about 20 years ago. About
2 days ago I got rid of the buckfast because I didn't want them to cross breed
my new brown queens.

Your comments are most welcome!
Thanks
Debbie  from Canada