From:
Dan Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2015 19:02:57 -0400
>Clearly, preadaptation for resistance to Tmite existed, but I don't know if
I can agree with the hypothesis that such preadaptation had anything to do
with prior exposure to Tmite.

My thinking on the subject was driven less by the bees' response to tracheal mites and more by the complex parasite/host relationship and of the mites' absolute dependence on honey bees as a single host. Where did this parasite come from...with a seemingly sudden appearance yet having a host/parasite relationship that could in no other way have developed overnight? So...without being married to my hypothesis, I cannot imagine any form of 'preadaption for resistance to Tmite' existing in Apis mellifera along with a single host dependence on A mellifera by Tmites without some significant 'prior exposure'.  Can you?