From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:37:01 -0600
At 05:38 PM 7/16/2001 EDT, you wrote:

I said, as regards Seattle area bees in the early 80s:
we did see marked differences AND at that time, the bees should have all
been European in origin - no AHB.

Robert asks:    Do you get AHB that far north? What's the climate like?
From a safe distance (like several thousand miles) I'd imagined it would be
too cold.

Response:  There were no known AHB in the U.S. in the early 80s.  So far,
AHB has only been seen in southern CA on the West Coast.  It is cool in
Seattle, but the area does not have severe winters.  Although there are
many guesses, no one knows how far north AHB will push in the U.S.  If we
are lucky, it won't survive our northern climates - but AHB has been known
to survive some cold areas (altitudinal) in South America.

Jerry J. Bromenshenk
http://www.umt.edu/biology/bees