From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:53:02 -0500
On 11 Jan 99, at 9:22, Ted Fischer wrote:

> I wonder if this design wouldn't create a lot of extra work cleaning
> bottom boards.  With things as they are usually done, the bees clean off
> the trash during the summer and our basic help to them is only once in the
> spring.  If the bottom board were coated with vaseline, then boarded up,
> the whole spring, summer and automn's worth of debris would accumulate in

One design out of Europe, basically the same but with a drawer
removable from the back of the hive. Needless to say it would alleviate
taking down the hive, but if it's from a solid material the Varroa could
climb back.

> I favor the thought of having the bottom board be a hardware cloth open
> mesh for times other than winter.  Not only would the mites drop out, but
> so would all the fine debris - thus saving the bees a lot of extra effort.
>  Ant control might be the main issue.

My thoughts would be to use our present hive stand, and adding a mesh
floor open to the ground. For those who don't know, we use a hive stand
of pressure treated 2x4s to form a box, closed on all sides, draught
proof. Our floors then fit over this square forming a closed box below a
solid floor.
        My thinking, the Varroa would fall through to the ground below. As
has beeb stated ant contol would be a major issue, which is why I
asked the question. Does anyone have a suggestion?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-Queen Rearing Equipment.