From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 16:16:40 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Pedro P. Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 01 May 1999 04:12
Subject: Re: Varroa Resistant Honey Bees

>Hi.
>Varroa mites thrive on two factors: high humidity and heat.
>Lack of proper ventilation enhance their growth and abundance.
>Best regards.
>Dr. R.

Hi Pedro,
It has been a while since I heard from you.  How are your mineral oil
experiments getting on?
With regard to varroa and heat.  I understood that varroa mites die if
exposed to a temperature of 45 deg. C.  (The temperature might be wrong I
would have to look it up to confirm this)  A few years ago now there was a
lot of discussion about heating hives and numerous experiments were carried
out in Germany.  It was claimed at the time that exposing the varroa to heat
not only killed the mites on the bees but also those in the cells. Perhaps
new research has proved this wrong but I have not been made aware of it.
Harry.