From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:44:01 -0300
Personally I am a bit fed up with this whole idea of this is good this is
bad type of war field. On this side the "organics" on this other side the
"sintetics".

Why not testing nectar versus HFCS or white sugar?
Is nectar closer to HFCS/white sugar or to honey?

This remind me of this other more recent paper (by press release) about
pollen versus other "sintetic supplements" and detoxification of
pesticides,
http://news.psu.edu/story/332959/2014/11/03/research/diet-affects-pesticide-resistance-honey-bees

Where can we get that clean, pesticide free pollen? are all pollen equal?

We all wish a more "natural", safe, clean , etc envoriment for our bees and
our selfes but reality is a fact. We can improve things, and I bet everyone
is working on it.

However to make broader conclusion from all this single studies is over my
comprehension.

In my case is not one or the other, is observing how is the environmental
offer doing and remediating as far as we can. Is finding a "natural"
environment for my colonies to recover after the pollination duties, but
even that natural environment some season is very mean with the bees.

Enough said.

Cheers

PS:  full season downhere. Blooms are some 15 to 20 days ahead of previous
season. We should run out of blueberry farms because of heavy spraying with
IMID, but we couldn't. So I am running a 1700 colonies experiment and my
bet is that with proper aplications (at dusk and night, without flower in
the plants) nothing is going to happen (nothing had happen so far ;)

We grew in the winter from app 2400 colonies to 3500, with the same people
and infraestructure (we bought mated queen from a colleague). Now I am
building my new extracting plant, importing a hummerbee and palletizing our
operation.

That is why I haven't been communicating much with bee-l. But keep on
reading and trying to send the news that come to my email or twitter
account.