From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 21:49:01 -0800
Hi all,

Bob writes:
Nebraska basswood locations are always spoken for by beekeepers but my
longtime friend which controls the basswood locations lets me use three. One
reason he does is there is a plant called Leafy Spurge which darkens the
Basswood honey. I think the mix has a decent flavor but he does not so he
will let me use the locations. The only time its worth my while to go five
hours north simply chasing the bloom is when our Midwest clover flow stops
first of July ( which is when the Nebraska basswood bloom starts).
Many years ago I had some hives in an area with lots of Leafy Spurge and the bees put up some. I thought it was the worst tasting honey I ever had. It reminded me of cat piss, mostly the smell.
We still have it around and the bees work it some, but it doesn't amount to much in the supers. It has a very strange open petal arrangement and is mostly green.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with off tasting honey?

Kirk