From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:19:58 +0100
>Peter, can your method be compared with what we call here the 'Frakno'-method?

Ah! yes, I remember the Frakno frame.  Always seemed over-engineered to me and I suspect that it would have become badly propolised; I never had the time to make one!  But the principle is similar.

I first started using thymol after reading a paper by Higes which was published in a magazine called 'Bee Biz' (that did not last long!).  He tested thymol crystals in 'tea bags', Petri dishes with holes in the lids and open Petri dishes.  Open worked best, so I simply substituted honey jar lids.

I knew that I would get lower efficiency than I might have obtained with the Bayvarol that was commonly in use at the time - but that was fine and part of my strategy to keep varroa at a level that did not cause great economic damage, but exposed the bees to them in the hope that this would encourage resistance.  That coupled with a breeding program that never propagates from any colony that ever shows deformed wings seems to be working for me.

Initially thymol was used well before the start of the flow and again in August after crop removal in order to avoid contamination.  Now I only treat in August as the spring treatment seems to be unnecessary; the next step will be to stop treating some apiaries just to see what will happen.  I can afford moderate losses - but not total wipeout!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W