From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:55:38 -0500
Hello All,

Ron said:
 There are good and bad folks in everything and beekeepers are no exception.

Missuse of chemicals happens many times due to the beekeeper being
uninformed and taking the advice of another uninformed beekeeper.

I have met beekeepers from all over the U.S. and the world. I never met a
beekeeper with bad intentions. Beekeepers that can barely read or simply
never read the available information are the beekeepers that need the most
help to survive todays complicated issues. Once they understand they never
forget. A wealth of information is available but useless if not read and
used.

All the beekeepers on all the internet lists represent less than one percent
of the worlds beekeepers I have been told!

> All the "big guys" use Mavrik(r) and that is what he did.

I do not normally comment on illegal methods but will make an exception
because  for some unknown reason the internet bee lists  are buzzing about
the outlaws using mavric.

The use of Mavric points back to the  first days of varroa in the U.S. and
bee labs. Was used out of desperation with tens of thousands of hives
crashing and no approved strips (in the U.S.). Even published in papers its
use and methods. The exact ratio was never published but whispered by
researchers. The exact ratio whispered was later found to be wrong.

Mix correctly and will work for varroa kill but under and over dosing are
real. Mix wrong and you have got dead hives. I have never seen the correct
ratio published on any bee list. Or even any talk of its use other than full
strength.

When Apistan was approved most moved to the new apistan strip which
prevented under and over dosing but a few diehards kept using mavrik. They
were the first to  get fluvalinate  resistant varroa for the use of mavrik.
I actually believe from under dosing.

Many contaminated brood comb by spraying Mavrick (dip) directly on bottom
boards, frames and comb! By doing so they also created an underdosing
situation similar to leaving old apistan strips in year around or reusing.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison