Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:25:11 -0400
I've been using a Stafix 1 Joule Dual Purpose that I got from Kencove
for the last year. So far so good. I'm not enclosing a huge area -
only a couple hives. I know they make a solar-powered version, or at
least the solar panel can be added. I'm using a 12-volt deep-cell
(marine) battery that gets a charge every 3-4 weeks - it's close
enough to the house that I can drag it in when it needs  a charge.
I've touched the charged line - it's not necessarily painful, but is
surprising. It has different settings depending on need - you can set
it to click faster at night (for bears) or faster during the day, or
set it to always be clicking fast or slow. It can also show you the
battery charge level, so you know when to drag it back for a charge.

I had help designing the system from Ken Smith - who seems to know
something about bears and bees.

cheers - Kurt