From:
"M.Westby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 14:17:01 GMT
Dear All

James Satterfield sent the following message ....

>Some years ago I read a book by Taylor which suggested painting hive
>bodies with creosote as a preservative.  Anyone ever tried it?  I found
>it hard to believe that the bees would tolerate the creosote fumes.  I
>would be interested to learn of your experiences.  Thank you.  Jim

I have used creosote for three years now on several hives, both brood boxes
and supers without the slightest problem.  In fact I would now not use
anything else.  I had problems with painted pine hives because they
couldn't "breath" through the paint which eventually blistered off with the
water seeping out from the inside.  Untreated cedar is undoubtedly the
best, but it is expensive and creosoted pine seems to be just as good.  I
have never attempted to use the treated boxes straight away, but have left
them out in the sun (when we have some!) for about a week and the creosote
is absorbed completely, leaving a totally matt surface.  The hives appear
to breath beautifully and there is no sign of condensation in the winter.
There is no sign of any toxicity.  Above all creosote is *very* cheap
compared to other non-insecticidal wood treatments, I pay only GBP1.50 for
5 litres.

Cheers, Max

                                                 (@ @)
Max Westby
(Among other things a Sheffield Beekeeper)
South Yorkshire Beekeepers Association  BBKA apiary reg: JQ34
Phone (Home):          +44 (0)114 236 1038
Fax:                   +44 (0)114 276 6515
e-mail:                [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web Site:   http://www2.shef.ac.uk/default.html