From:
"James A. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2023 07:36:08 -0500
In the world of healthcare - science, research, and action all converge in practice when the practitioner makes informed decisions for the 'next best steps.' These applications occur in a myriad of settings, locales, climates, and regions all while requiring considerations of the individual recipient of care, their presenting problems, and a multitude of precipitating factors to the event of care that will modify the results of intervention.

Evidenced based practice therefore becomes the modicum of rationale for these significant care events and the practitioner must utilize all available resources, education, research, and other practitioner feedback to make the best decision possible. The best decision is not always the preferred decision but the one with evidence supporting a higher potential of successful outcomes wins the day. Even this - applied with the best intent and the highest potential for success - still may fail. Failure however, is not a valid justification for termination of intervention.

If we were to discount location specific variables from particular studies to the fullest due to our inability to fully apply its specific actions and modes we could very well just scrap beginner beekeeping education altogether. Not every beekeeper in every class will go home to the same scenarios and rationally apply what they learned because the setting they learned it in or data they received originated in a different location under different factors - or will they?

Evidenced based practice simply sums up how science/research should inform our beekeeping practice - especially when we are considering species wide applications that promote sustainable practice. Tossing out the potential for a study to impact how we make decisions merely based on the setting it occurred ignores our human capacity to utilize what will work and improve outcomes simply based on the transferable data contained within.

"If it don't apply, let it fly."
"Leave the rest, run with the best."

Summarily, what competent beekeepers/practitioners should seek as evidence FOR evidenced based practice...

Research evidence - preferably peer reviewed research / scientific literature
Field-based research and application (trial and error testing)
Feedback from others, stakeholders, experienced and inexperienced beekeepers, (the bees!)
Beekeeper experience and expertise

-James
Northern Roulette Beekeeper