From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 16:03:29 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Virus Alert

David Eyre writes:
"This morning my e-mail downloaded automatically 2 unsolicited files on
Varroa. When I tried to print them out my Norton Anti-Virus Alert informed
me they were infected with a virus.
        Timid.431. {2}.   This virus will affect your .SYS files and
Command.com may halt your computer.
        PLEASE, PLEASE could we stop sending unsolicited files, if you have
an important file which you think would be of value, then ask, or better
still run it through an anti-virus first."

Well, I received the same two files as enclosures, put them in my hard drive,
and after your warning, went to print them out.  I had no trouble doing this
- they printed out fine after I changed the text format to Word format.  Then
I ran the virus detection program Disinfectant on my Mac, and no viruses at
all were detected.  There must be a major difference between your system and
mine.

I greatly appreciated the paper on selection for varroa resistance in
honeybees.  But I will have to agree with your advice, that one should ask
first before sending unsolicited material, no matter how generally helpful it
may be.

Ted Fischer