Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 13:14:15 -0600
> You and  Randy mentioned commercial operations which were surviving with
> little or no treatments. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop - how do
> they do it?- but nothing was heard after that.

Yeah.  Well, Charlie knows about the Russian bee guys and has mentioned a
few.

Myself, I am not sure I know of any who use zero treatments, but I know of
several which have been able to stop treating for AFB.    We all have our
confidence tested from time to time, though and that is why I ask.

The problem is that the topic is polarized.  It is also complex, since
treatment for one problem may be indicated periodically while another may go
years below threshold.

Any discussion of zero or limited treatment gets invaded by the
perfection-nazis and degenerates to do-so, do-not kind of discussion.

The small-time and nature types don't have a clue about the realities of
commercial beekeeping and the commercial guys don't really see the point of
discussing idealistic notions when their livelihood is at stake.

The topic is subtle and complex and that is why I hoped that we could get
some input here in a non-judgmental atmosphere.