From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 21:00:45 +0900
>To allay concerns expressed by more than one respondent -- no, I do not
>search for queens just for fun.  I only do it when I must requeen, and
>this is such a time -- I have a "hot" (i.e., vicious) hive, with terrible
>comb-building discipline (burr- and bridge-comb everywhere,
>erratically-drawn comb on foundations), and no offsetting good qualities.
> Ergo, the queen must die.  Long live the queen.

If the death sentence has been pronounced, there are 2 other ways to find
the queen which may enable you to get away with only a token penalty.  One
is splitting the hive leaving the queen with only the brood and nurse bees
while you requeen the other half and unite when sentence has been carried out.

The other is to place another hive box in the original site and shake all
combs and bees down into an empty super separated from the brood box by a
queen excluder.  We have a permanently attached excluder and super to enable
us to cull queens in the apiary.  If a few combs of brood are placed in the
bottom box and the top smoked, all bees will go down below the excluder
leaving drones and the queen trapped above.

If you wish more detail please email me direct and I will set out the steps
to enable this process to be carried out smoothly.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]