From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 20:16:28 +1000
> Numerous authors have debunked the notion that drifting is a significant mode of disease transmission.

I don't have  any experiments to quote but from my practical work when I was in the Department of Primary Industries and having looked at hives with AFB that numbered in the thousands, it was my considered opinion that drift was significant.  Hives with AFB were removed and all hives inspected.  So hives left behind did not show clinical signs of AFB. In a lot of cases when coming back to inspect, after say three weeks, adjacent hives to ones that had been infected showed infection.  The infected hives had been destroyed and removed at night.

What would I call significant?  At least 30% when compared to the number of hives destroyed on the first inspection.

There had been no dead outs in the yards that would allow robbing so it was my conclusion that drift was involved as it was adjacent hives to ones that had been found to have AFB.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8866 (20131002) __________

http://www.eset.com