From:
John Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 21:49:53 -0500
    I've silently been reading the BEE-list for numerous years now and I
must say that I've learned a lot from same and enjoy many of the
different viewpoints.
    A few years ago I had a 75'x100' hole dug, 16' deep. I used the dirt
from the hole to raised the ground level about three feet on  three
sides of the dugout. After leveling this dirt and seeding grass seed in
same, I had a nice high dry place for a bee yard. I've successfully kept
50 to 60 hives summer and winter in this yard  The fourth side which is
the low allows the dugout to fill with water every spring or during a
good rain. I installed 2 high volume low pressure windmill driven air
pumps to aerate the water. Next I released 75 to 100 rainbow trout
fingerlings, which I fed regularly. The fish grew very well for a couple
or three years. I had some 18 to 20 inches in length. They tasted kinda
muddy but they were fun to feed and watch, they can become quite pretty.
After about the thrid year, I cannot get any trout to survive in that
hole any more.
    I am wondering????? with 50 X 60,000 bees gathering water for daily
use in their hives, a lot of them drown. I have over the years never
seen a trout hit a drowning bee as it would hit a mayfly and gobble it
down, I don't think trout like bees as a food ???? but what I'm really
wondering and why I wrote all the above,  is with the hugh number of
bees that drown in that puddle every year,could it be possible that the
water is so polluted with bee venom that the venom could be killing the
trout and  that is why they can't survive any more???
    Who said that ALL beekeepers were normal?

John