Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 10:41:37 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
> It is even worse than I thought.

I was recently accused of verbally attacking Ms Lusby. Nothing could be further from the truth. My message is and has been: put up or shut up. For ten years I have maintained that while much can be learned from Africanized bees in the SW, this knowledge does not necessarily apply to the European bees, which the rest of us keep. 

Further, most of us will continue to resist the importation of these bees into non-Africanized regions. As recently as this year, the question of Africanization and the merit of these bees was discussed in the International Journal "Apidologie." If beneficial traits of these bees can be incorporated without the negative ones, I am all for it. 

If not, then it is as my friend Ernesto Guzman said: "You don't want these bees"

> Southern Arizona has an established feral population of Africanized bees that originated from the northward expansion of Africanized populations following the introduction of A. mellifera scutellata into Brazil.

> Our study might have uncovered some nutritionally based factors contributing to the immigration and successful establishment of AHB in areas with resident EHB populations. AHB collect more pollen than EHB and can attain higher hemolymph protein levels from it. This would enable colonies to rear more brood and have workers with extended adult life spans.

DEGRANDI-HOFFMAN, et al. (2012) "A comparison of bee bread made by Africanized and European honey bees (Apis mellifera) and its effects on hemolymph protein titers" Apidologie

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2