From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 23:04:27 +0100
> That species are a natural entity and subspecies are an entity created by
> humans
> should be obvious if you had carefully read my first post.

I can understand that humans created the names, but I fail to see how humans
physically 'created' all the sub-species.  Could you explain how the humans
that were around all those years ago actually did this?

> Species are fixed, separate from each other and form a closed natural
> unit.

We agree.

> Subspecies are not a closed unit, they can interbreed and develop new
> forms
> within the species unit.

We agree again - but the operative word is 'can'.

> If a part of the population of a species occurs over a part of the species
> range and has developed certain characters common to all the
> individuals in that part of the population it has been named a subspecies
> by human taxonomists.

Yes, named - but not created.

> It's not a natural division...

So why is it unnatural?

> and many subspecies interbreed and form clines between themselves.  If a
> subspecies becomes isolated from the
> main stem for a very long period of time, it may change enough for it to
> become
> a separate unit that is unable to interbreed with the main stem and thus
> form a
> new distinct species.

Agreed - that is a natural process - and I would have thought that few would
disagree.  So what is your point?  We know that this can happen naturally
and over time.  I am simply arguing that it is wrong for mankind to 'force'
the process by transporting genetic material half way around the world in a
way that 'nature' would - could - never have done.  We only have to open our
eyes to see the damage that we (er - not me!) have done - and are still
doing; surely I do not need to spell it out?

> Most conservation efforts deal with species, not subspecies.

Most - but not all; and there is no logical reason that I can see why we
should not seek to preserve the diversity that 'nature' has created in this
abundance of sub-species.
Best wishes

Peter
52o11'39.10"N 1o40'26"W