Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:54:54 -0700
Hi Bob and Pav,

Yes Bob I understand Barry's beekeeping methods. Here's a post from BIO BEE:

>My main business is queen breeding, but I work closely, of
>course, with commercial honey producers. One of these runs
>around 5000 scutellata colonies and has yet to treat for varroa.
>The main reason is that capensis invasion of scutellata colonies
>is by far the biggest problem of commercial beekeepers.
>However, I recently inspected, with this beekeeper,  dozens of
>his colonies, containing wild (as opposed to pedigreed) queens.
>We were specifically looking for any varroa damage, but could
>not find any. But the varroa are present in all the hives. Varroa
>first arrived in this country in 1997, but some experts say it is yet
>to really "strike." That is why I am looking into treatment methods
>- I want to be preventative and not reactive.

If these colonies have had varroa since 1997 they would certainly have
crashed by now. Although Capensis is a serious problem one cannot say that
ALL these colonies perish to capensis every year. It would be tough to be a
commercial beekeeper if this was to occcurs. It is interesting to note that
none of these colonies have been treated and NO DAMAGE to the bees has been
observed. "SOME EXPERTS" are recommending treatment.  Why contaminate ones
wax and possibly honey until one is sure their is a problem? If no damaged
bees are being seen there MAY NOT be varroa problems. It is reasonable that
scutellata control varroa naturally(It is year 5 and spring there).

> Totally unnatural????  What is unnatural about raising queens from bees on
> which varroa do not reproduce?
> The first purpose is not to maintain but to introduce the SMR gene into
our
> U.S. stocks.

I do not mean that the trait is unnatural.  I mean the manner in which the
trait is maintained. If SMR is not maintained won't it loose its
effectiveness?  How can such a task be done in the ENTIRE country? This is
what I meant by swimming up a waterfall. Would it not be easier to allow the
bees to control varroa without any speacial breeding?

As for being "burnt" that could happen to either group (SMR or small cell).
If one does nothing it is a garantee! I did not mention 4.9 in my previous
post as what you have said is a possibility. On the other hand it may be
wise. Time will tell. I hope the joke isn't on me (or anyone). From the
early indications I'm seeing I'm optimistic at least. 4.9 may be theory, but
all theorys need time to prove themselves.

regards,

Clay- wishing all the best of luck!