Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:34:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
In the last week or two there was a post on SHB,  turned out to be a great post.  It mentioned shells and exoskeletons from larve.  Up until this year SHB have been a small time pest,  any weak or dying hives were quickly taken over.   I had assumed and observed it seems the SHB were preying on weak hives.   

Last night I moved hives into pumpkins.  Pumpkins here are interesting because the dirt around the hives is clean,  no grass or weeds to hide debris.   Two of the skids were from a yard I had lost  a hive or two earlier this year.  As mentioned Beetles moved into the hives quickly (I cleaned them up)  I assumed I had lost the hives to chilled brood.   

The hives on the pallets were all strong hives,  2 deeps and supers chocked full of bees 100k or so in each.   

On the ground in front of 2 of them are piles of larvae exoskeletons.  and opening the huves there is easily a cupful of SHB in each.
apparently at some level the SHB switch from scavengers to predators.  these guys are voraciously eating larve.  That is a bit of a new development in thinking for me.  Up until now a cpl here and there were just normal and annoying.   Time to change the thinking.

Trying some MAQS on one to see if it will drive out the beetles.  

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2