From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 07:20:52 -0600
> Sometimes I get as many as 30 to 40 stings in a session of
> examining hives...
> Has anybody in the list any comments to make based on experience, which
> would be of assistance to me in determining if I should continue to expose
> myself to this level of stinging?.

I ain't no MD, but I get at least as many stings on the hands and wrists as
you mention many days, sometimes more, sometimes less and I'm still kicking
after a quarter century of it.

Something to consider is that the stings we take on the hands and wrists are
not usually nearly as strong as the ones that a person takes sometimes in
other places.  Oftentimes these stings are not fully driven home and are
also rubbed or scraped off immediately.

I think that a hundred or so real serious stings into soft flesh would be
enough for anyone,  I had over 100 through the suit one day when I was
working some particularly nasty pale yellow New Zealand bees I bought one
year.  My daughter had forgotten the smoker and we drove the twenty miles
before that fact was discovered. I wasn't going home without the comb honey,
and paid the price.

No ill effects, though.

allen