From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:49:52 -0500
Relating to Bio diesel, Ethanol derived from Biomass and other
agricultural materials.

There is much debate about its rentabilty, supply mechanisms, production
etc. within Canada (and other countries).

Supply of raw materials to support such a future endeavour varies
according to national crop types (Canada using Canola, US: Maize, UK:
Rapeseed).

Projects are being investigated.

Where are the Beekeepers in the debate?

Agricultural lobbies have policy statements, as I am sure so have other
interested groups

Where are the Beekeepers in the debate?

As ever, crops need good soil, fertilizer, protection - all considered
as normal practice for the farmer.

Nowhere have I seen mentioned the need to ensure pollination.

Granted that in the case of Canola, it is to a point self pollinating.

But as always stated - pollination at an adequate level enhances better
pod development, seed numbers and overall increase in oil quality.

Presumably those investigating the potential for Bio diesel will be
searching for a top quality end product with highest return for input.

At the present the Manitoban Provincial Gov't is advocating
diversification and support for "Green" production - especially if it
helps support the rural production base.

Not only do I see a potential for added income from pollination
contracts if handled / developed in the correct manner - BUT:

There is the potential for the honey market to be disrupted in the
future as larger surface areas of nectar producing come into being.

- Too much honey??

The addition of pollination within the Bio fuel sector may limit this
potential development.

Your thoughts.

Peter