Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:59:31 +0000
My comments previously on my understanding of heat loss in hives aside,    I will say that these pillow tops "work" -   hives with them will have a big mound of snow atop, while those without will show a mound of snow with a chimney melted thru it where you'd expect the cluster to be. A poignant reminder of the hives I missed putting a pillow on.

Re Bobs point, managing moisture in a wintered hive is very important, but these pillow tops are not intended for that. Better to handle that with a top opening. They are sealed in plastic but for a small open corner, and you'd not want them to collect moisture as this increases thermal conductivity. BUT, they sure can get wet from mouse urine, vapour etc. Offsetting that bother is that you can easily peel open the seal, let it dry, and close the seal, or any other tears or chew holes with the red Tuck tape used for closing seams of building fabric and vapour barrier. They are aslo light and compress reasonably well for summer storage

Greg Hawkins

Everton ON

N 43°39’ W 80°08’

"" am testing some of David Vanderdusen's (miteaway II) pillows this year.

About the same insulation factor plus absorbs moisture. many say absorbing

the moisture is as important as the R factor.