From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 1995 08:43:53 -0600
On Sun, 28 May 1995, Michael Stoops wrote:

> One speaks of using drones in the local area to mate with the newly
> emerged queens.  Here in southern/central Texas, that is no longer a
> viable method.  We now have feral colonies of the 'Aficanized' bee and
> knowing that the Africanized drones fly faster than the European drones,
> we really run the risk of Africanizing our hives.

I wonder if it would be possible to develop a lure that would draw and
dispose of all the drones in an area, so that a known drone population
could be put in it's place from time to time.

I also wonder - do the african drones from feral hives move (drift) into
domestic hives?

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka