From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:04:30 +0000
On Oct 20, 2013, at 9:41 PM, James Fischer  wrote:

There are many who point to bees in hollow tree cavities as the ideal model
for "what bees prefer", but this is a common error, as it mistakes bees
making do with what is available for bees actively showing a preference.

This important point seems to be mostly overlooked by most. Not only that, but nobody has shown any support for this observation, other than "it seems to me that".

In Southern California I frequently used to see swarms living year round in bushes. I am pretty sure they did not "prefer" that, but rather, couldn't find anything better.

Pete