From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:59:06 -0500
Hello Lloyd & All,
Lloyd wrote:
The use of Epipen's has been mentioned.  Please take CAUTION here.  My
doctor refuses to prescribe one for anyone over 40, as he fears the risk of
heart attack symptoms are just too great.  Epipens can and have saved
lives...they have also killed.

I made a few phone calls and believe Lloyds doctor is incorrect in his
thinking. As a person which has seen anaphylaxis first hand I feel (as did
those I questioned) that the  risk of death was far greater from anaphylaxis
than heart attack.

The EpiPen is the only method of saving the person's life other than a trac.
As a young beekeeper I was shown the method to do a trac using a knife and a
straw by a couple beekeepers. One had a small scar on his throat.

I talked to a MD (my doctor) , EMT (my daughter) and our local hospital
emergency room.

I also keep animal epinephrine around. I would not hesitate to give myself a
shot if I was in trouble. 0.3 mg is the dose. We are talking life versus
death are we not?

I posted awhile back about three employees of the Kansas City Zoo which had
came to one of my yards to buy beehives  for the zoo. One of the employess
got stung and started into anaphylaxis. The nearest help is 30 minutes away.
I had a epipen in the office but I doubt there would have been time  to get
the epipen. The Zoo truck had epinephrine on board. One of the zoo employees
drew 0.3mg and gave the other employee a shot in the muscle of the hip.
Within 5 minutes the person was breathing normally.

Many people have never seen a case of anaphylaxis and never will but when
anaphylaxis happens you need to think *and act* fast.

I have seen three cases in farm animals. Two died and I saved one with a
human epipen. Many  farm vaxines (CD&T) will cause anaphylaxis in farm
animals. The vet will try to shoot the animal with a tranc dart if running
loose and then give a epinephrne dose. I *always* keep our animals confinned
for fifteen minutes after giving vaxinations.

Anaphylaxis is rare and I do not wish to scare people but does happen and
one should at least be aware of the options and  also the consequences of
inaction.

Bob