Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:42:19 -0600
> For splits for ourselves, we like to use single brood boxes, with a loose
> drop-in divider board that goes to the bottom board.  We make up a 4-frame
> nuc on one side, and a 5-framer on the other (brood next to the divider).
> This leaves a bit of space, so that the frames can be easily slid for
> insertion of the queen cell, and later inspection for laying.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I seem to recall Dave Green mentioning placing the
split frames in the middle of an empty brood chamber and draping paper over
them to limit the space, and placing the rest of the frames in the box, but
outside the paper.  The cluster would expand and chew the paper when they
wanted more space without the need for beekeeper intervention.  Maybe Dave
is around and will comment?