From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:14:47 -0400
I wonder if anyone can explain how bees use water they have collected to
dilute granulated honey in the hive.

Here in c. NY the bees have been busy on the ground collecting water from
any miserable little moist patch or puddle.  They appear to have found my
house's gutters to be an attractive source as well.  For a good 3 weeks or
more they have been at it, even on cool overcast days.

The stores remaining from last season are by now granulated, or mostly so.
Presumably the bees are using all this water to make use of the old honey.
But -- has anyone observed just how they go about it?   I don't recall this
behavior being described in the texts or journals.

Thanks for any info.

Curious Geeeeeeorge