From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:03:32 -0500
> Probably safest to eat English honey - the inspection system allows samples to be taken from beekeepers at any time; I do not know anyone who uses antibiotics. Why would they? AFB is burned and has an extremely low occurence; EFB can be burned or shook-swarmed, which has be shown to be far more effective than using antibiotics.

You side step the point which is that honey produced from hives that have been treated with antibiotics during the off season is in fact perfectly safe to eat. Nobody has ever been made sick by antibiotics in honey, since honey consumption is generally low & these substances appear in minute amounts, if at all.

> I do not know anyone who uses antibiotics. Why would they? AFB is burned and has an extremely low occurence; EFB can be burned or shook-swarmed, which has be shown to be far more effective than using antibiotics.

Why would they? Plenty of beekeepers treat light infections of AFB and EFB. It's a bacterial infection, not viral. It can be gotten rid of in this manner. Not too many advocate this route, however, because it's a slippery slope. There is a fine line between treatable and not worth the bother, and most amateurs cannot make this judgement call correctly.

PLB