From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 12:47:52 -0500
Open Question to the Scientific Community.

Perhaps A. I. Root deserves an answer!

We are in the middle of publishing the A. I. Root correspondence
to the Wright Brothers on the Historical Honeybee Articles site.
The letters are truly fascinating, providing valuable insight into
the mind of A. I. Root, as well as the problems faced at the time.
Here are a few sneak preview quotes from upcoming letters I
find interesting.

Leading up to the quote below, Root has been writing letters
to the Scientific American to inform them of the Wright Brothers
scientific achievements, -perhaps as much to inform the world
as to help secure priority of invention for the Wright Brothers.
But the Scientific American appears to have totally failed to
investigate or even take them seriously.

"...I am surprised to think such a paper as the Scientific
American should be so much behind the times."
-A. I. Root, February 4, 1905  (Letter scheduled for posting
on the H.H.A. site: January 18, 2014)

Root again writes about his disgust with the scientific press.

"I for one am disgusted with the press generally, especially
the scientific press, to find that so few of them have even
taken the trouble to copy what I have written or make any
mention of the matter."  -A. I. Root, April 17, 1905
(Letter scheduled for posting on the H.H.A. site: January 26, 2014)

Root deserves an explanation, so I ask posthumously for A. I. Root:

'Why do you think the scientific community failed to take
seriously a flying machine invention from a couple of cycle
repair guys, even when backed by the respected A. I. Root'?

'Is this a stark example the "boys club" which existed in
the scientific community over a hundred years ago?,
-if so, does it still exist today?'

'Does a failure to take amateur inventors/scientists seriously,
put the scientific community, as Root says "so much behind
the times"? -and would you consider failures of scientific
community to take amateur inventor/scientists seriously a
hindrance to science as Root alludes?

Perhaps after 100 years, A. I. Root deserves and answer.
Please address replies to:  'Dear Mr. Root' I will forward it.