From:
GImasterBK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:11:08 EST
Tere:  All young people have to try something "different".  About 50 years
ago, I set up 4 colonies for two queen trials following everything written
that I could read, particularly ABC&XYZ in those days.  I fought through that
"mess" for 3 years and NEVER EVER AGAIN.  Colony management and manipulation
and KEEPING THOSE TWO QUEENS SEPARATED is a major problem and a back-breaker
because of height.  Also, you are working off a ladder; and then I was a young
man with help from my wife.  HOWEVER, NONE OF WHAT I HAVE SAID IS REALLY
IMPORTANT, AND HERE IS WHY.
Bee people, researchers, and scientists like myself have proven over and over
again that one good queen, properly managed by a knowledgeable beekeeper, can
out produce any two queen colony.  This is why you never see a skilled
beekeeper or a commercial beekeeper using a two queen system.
While I am on the suject, I trust that you know (proven thousands of times)
that colony with 40,000 bees can produce almost twice as much honey as 2
colonies that each have 20,000 bees!  This, in itself, is the best reason for
a beekeeper to learn to properly prepare (manage) his bees so that the colony
is so strong that it is approaching a swarming fever just when the main nectar
flow starts.  Here in Maryland, because of our very early nectar flow in April
and May and totally OVER by June 10th, I start 1:1 sugar syrup feeding in
early February to excite early egg laying by the queen.  Any egg layed after
March 20th is of no value to me, because the nectar flow will be over before
the bee becomes a forager.
Having "been there", forget any 2 queen system, and devote your time to
learning GOOD MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES.  Good Luck!      George Imirie