From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 21:00:25 -0600
Jerry said:
> Glad to see someone reading the book.

I have read the book a couple times and have referred to the book as
Christina did on BEE-L before but I think Jerry will remember when I
suggested the book needed a new edition as the book was written 23 years
ago. Still excellent information.

Back when Jerry & Mayer were the expert witness for the beekeeping
community.

I have experience with most of the pesticides and herbicides talked about in
the book.

Especially when Penncap M. was killing bees. I do apple pollination before
Penncap M is sprayed but do not want my bees within 5 miles after the
orchard is sprayed.

Captan is hard on bees but I have had bees on the orchard if sprayed at
dark.

Nova  ( has new name but same product) not as bad on bees.

Pristine (systemic fungicide) is hard on bees and many beekeepers say they
will not bring bees if used when  bees are on the bloom. Many beekeeper
reports since Pristine has been registered for apples and other crops.
Hack is always complaining about Pristine.

With many organophosphates being dropped  beekeepers need to be on their
toes. I believe ( might be wrong) that growers can use the old chemicals
until gone.

little actual checking done except for paper trail so hard to monitor.

 temick is still being used illegally in Florida and many organophosphates
will be  until supplies are gone.

I think there are around 4-5 systemic fungicides similar to Pristine in use.
I think one is named Flint. I suspect one of these is the fungicide used on
Stans  borage pollination.

When bees get a chemical bath with unnamed inert ingredients can never be
good. Growers like to spray when they want to spray and not many like to
spray at night with lights.

bob