From:
"Dr. Joe Carson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:20:21 -0900
It warmed up to -44 this morning.  Ice fog everywhere.
Everything must be flown in.  Extractors, wax spinners, tanks, wood equipment, saws, etc.  All is flown in for about $1.08 per pound.  Our electric is about 5 X the national average so we must be inventive and frugal in our operation.
Everything then must be flown out to get to a market.  It costs about $.45 per pound to backhaul to Anchorage and then where ever the final destination is.
We sell honey through a few local Alaska dealers, distributors at fairs, online through our website, and by word of mouth through FaceBook.  FaceBook has been good for us.  We sell into 20 countries throughout the world.  We produce about three barrels of pollen and one barrel of propolis in addition to the honey.  Our wax sells for a premium for tons of uses.  We also produce a leather care product and a wood finish preservative with our wax as an ingredient.  So, we must make and do everything ourselves.
Joe CarsonAlaska Heavenly Honey