From:
John Partin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:43:46 -0400
  ED the watermelon patches are a problem in that they spray all the
time.  If the melons are not blooming the blackberrys on the fence rows
are and the drift always gets them.  If the ranchers have a hay field ,
in your area nearly all do, they are sprayed often for army worms. Bees
work pastures in Florida sometimes.
   I do not know how many people have gardens around you but in Fl.
nearly all use chem. to grow them. I am surprised that a corn field is
not within two miles of your farm, there is a lot of corn grown in your
area.  The ranchers that own those pastures have cattle and they spray
their cattle all the time and they might use antibiotics in the water
also.
   In a populated rual area like yours I do not think you can make what
I think and would call organic honey.
   I lease about 150,000 acres of timber land for bees and I would be
glad to let you have a few yards where you would not be within two miles
of any other beekeeper or any spray. Most gallberry and palmetto honey
that is produced has a better chance of being called organic even if the
beekeeper uses a miteside and antibiotics than a person calling their
honey organic if produced in an area like yours.
GOOD LUCK
BUD your neighbor