From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:02:13 -0400
> Spring Dwindling disease was not considered to be the same as Disappearing

> Disease.    It was defined as a malady affecting adult  bees.
Specifically
> "Unless there has been a very severe winter, spring  dwindling is the
result of
> ignorant or careless management".  It is often  accompanied by dysentery.

I've also read contemporary writers describe "normal spring dwindling"
as the perfectly normal population drop-off when a colony is raising
early brood, but not yet at a rate to replace normal bee deaths.

So, the terminology could be said to be very "loose" in this area.

The etymology of entomology is little more than epistemology. :)