From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 11:15:34 -0500
Hello All,
Large scale beekeeping is in serious danger in many areas from urban sprawl.

 I hope "Doc" will post on the Florida Beekeepers site the information Aaron
posted.

 Beekeeping is more of a privledge than a right.
Or
"Justice is the will of the stronger".

Those of us which keep bees around urban areas see regulations coming to
restrict beekeeping.

Honest information concerning the case presented:

Holding yards are very different than beekeeping outyards for those on the
list which are not familiar with the terms.

Outyards are normally from 10-40 hives. I normally do 24 hives on six
pallets.

The problem presented is with a holding yard. Holding yards we use usually
contain around 600 hives but could contain many thousand (like the one
pictured in my April ABJ article).

The first complaint is from the bee poop on cars. The poop not washed off
can cause some paint lift spots about the size of the head of a pen.

Swarms landing in their yards plus stinging incidents are the next neighbor
can happen problems.

A common approach to get rid of the bees by landowners is that every member
of the household is allergic to bee stings (or so they say).

I have got over 200 hives at my house without problems but I do not like the
bee poop on my trucks and not being able to hang clothes on the clothes
line. All the hives will be gone into outyards within two weeks.

I would never let a dispute with a neighbor go to the legal stage. Why not?
Look what happened in the case presented! Will the neighbor now stop or
continue on until the beekeeper has to relocate?

The time of the year has quite a bit to do with holding yards and neighbor
problems.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison