From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:10:26 -0400
Was today a fluke? The combination of not a big enough breakfast on a
hot, humid day? Or is my body suddenly developing an allergy that I
have to worry about? Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi Kurt

I read your post with interest. I have kept bees for over thirty years now, and have experienced most of the effects of chronic and acute bee stinging. Additionally, I have several allergies and have first hand knowledge of chronic and acute symptoms of those.

In my experience, an individual that has a very high degree of immunity to bee stings can experience unpleasant symptoms if their threshold is exceeded. However, the symptoms you describe are unlike any I have heard associated with either bee stings or allergies.

I think the above description is entirely plausible. I would sooner put such symptoms down to the effects of heat, hunger, or anxiety than to bee venom. When I receive bee venom overdose (this would require a large number of stings, at least 50 in a short time, say 15 minutes) i get a tingling sensation, usually in my shoulders. There may be swelling, as well, just like a naive patient would get from a few stings.

From my experience, allergies tend to be more systemic with symptoms such as itching, whole body rash, shortness of breath, etc. Also, these symptoms respond well to a prompt administration of Benedryl. For example, I recently took a bit too much Alleve for an excruciating pain in my foot and had a first time allergic reaction to it. Very odd welts appeared at random on my body, but they quickly subsided after taking two Benedryl.

Hence, I would not rush to judgment that a bee sting allergy is developing on your part. I would suggest to employ caution the next few times with the bees, and avoid working in the hottest part of the day. Additionally, many people find that the use of latex gloves reduces stings to the hands (and avoids propolis staining as well). I still prefer to work bees bare handed, despite the fact that I wear gloves most of the time at my "day job", but I seldom get stung on the hands anyway.

If one only has a few hives, the judicious use of smoke should be able to prevent stinging altogether. Many skilled sideliners and researchers as well, rarely get stung. I believe it is safe to say with proper skill it is possible to manage bees and avoid being stung altogether. I happen to believe that being stung regularly is good for my system, but that may be superstition (my doctor thinks it is).

Peter Loring Borst
Paula Cohen Lab
Biomedical Science Dept.
Cornell University