From:
Stefan Stangaciu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:51:13 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Dienstag, 5. Januar 1999 21:35
Subject: Recommended reading

|Hi Folks.
|
|Here I am, looking for more advice.  Thanks in advance.
|
|Our beekeeping club has pretty much decided how to handle our local school
|and kids requests for bee information.  And the local 4-H ers want to get
|in on it too.
|
|Here's what we are planning:
|
|The local conservation officer has agreed to allow us to place a hive or
|two on the local "Conservation Outdoor Classroom" site.  The site is a
|couple acres behind the local high school.  The hives will be somewhat
|secluded to try to prevent vandalism.  We plan on, eventually, building an
|information board with pictures, etc.  The kids visit the site and learn
|about conservation efforts, usually by the busload.  Maybe someday, even an
|observation hive.
|
|I spoke with the local 4-H agent.  I suggested that the 4-H'ers use the
|hive as their 4H project.  They would have to meet a year round thing, so I
|suggested they must help various beekeepers maintain hives, paint hives,
|build hives and frames, over the non beeraising times.  Also, many 4H
|parents won't bee too happy to invest a coupla hundred dollars in a hive
|with no chance for a good return in the first year.  (As you know, most 4H
|projects are sold at the end of the summer.  Sometimes for a real good
|profit)
|
|Here's the question.  Which texts are the best to use for the 4Hers to
|learn about beekeeping.  As beginners they probably need to learn about
|bees, but not just that.   And the text should be easy enough for about a
|10 year old to read and understand.  It has to have beginner beekeeping
|stuff in it also.  I would like the beeclub to purchase the books and lend
|them out.  Hopefully any of the kids that decide to go on to beekeeping
|will need more advanced books.
|
|Any suggestions or recommendations?  I have read about most of the books
|out there.  And even own about 4 or 5.  But not sure about the beginners
|from this standpoint.
|
|Thanks, again.
|
|Judy in Kentucky, USA

        Hello dear Judy,

    Besides all beekeeping related info/books, I think you can add very
important information on the healing properties of bee products.

    This may be interesting mainly for the children's parents, in a first
phase.

    There are many children diseases which can be healed, or at least
improved or stabilized by the bee products. Here are only a FEW indications:

    - secondary anemia;
    - lack of concentration, poor memory etc.;
    - insomnia;
    - flu;
    - sinusitis;
    - bronchial asthma;
    - blood circulation problems;
    - digestive disorders like: anorexia (lack of appetite); parasitosis;
malnutrition; constipation/diarrhea;
    - urinary bladder and kidney disorders like: enuresis, infections,
polakiuria;
    - liver disorders, including hepatitis;
    - immune system disorders, including AIDS or neoplasms.

    If you need more details about the above apitherapy related stuff you
have the following choices:

    * to join your local or international Apitherapy Societies:
        - the American Apitherapy Society;
        - the UK Apitherapy Society;
        - the German Apitherapy Society;
        - the Lithuanian Apitherapy Society.

            Their full addresses can be obtained from our Internet
Apitherapy Data Base: www.sci.fi/~apither

    * to read, copy and study the "Pediatry" pages from the above mentioned
Site (owner Durk Ellison);

    * to join our future Internet Apitherapy Course;

    * to contact me privately at: [log in to unmask]

        Kind regards,