From:
Paul Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 08:23:01 -0700
At 13:00 +0100 9/27/98, Peter Dalby wrote:
>There has been many communications regarding wax moth infestation and
>certainly freezing will work but the frames/boxes do need to be left for at
>least a week to kill the larvae.

I took the frames out and placed each one in the freezer for 30 minutes ore
more. After this, the larvae were frozen solid and when they thawed out
they did not move. Once they freeze, they are dead. I don't know if the
eggs have an ability to resist cold damage better, but I've got six very
infested frames sitting on my kitchen table that were frozen 4 days ago and
there is no new larvae.

>The other method would be to use a product containing bacillus thuringiensis
>a natural method for killing the larvae.  The product that is available in
>England is called Certan and manufactured by Swarm S.A., it is a liquid
>which you dilute with water in a hand sprayer and spray both sides of all
>frames with this liquid.  When the wax moth worms ingest the wax coated with
>the spray the bacillus gets to work in their gut and kills them off.   The
>bacteria is specific to lepidopterans (moths and butterflies caterpillars)
>and does not harm the bees when they use the frames at a later stage.  It
>needs to be re-applied each year in view of its natural properties as there
>are no chemical residues.

You can get BT powder in the US at garden supply stores. The powder is
mixed with water to from a sprayable solution. I've used it in the garden
for asparagus worms. For that application it works very well. It is
completely safe for human consumption. As long as it has no harmful effect
on the bees, I would not hesitate to use it on wax moth.

>It certainly works over here and stops further damage to the frames.
>
>Hope this is of some help.
>
>Peter Dalby, Chairman BBKA

Thanks for the great suggestion!