Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 1994 23:25:02 -0400
1. I have seen a fly that must be a Bombus mimic - it is covered with
black and yellow (or black and yellow and orange!) fur, and forages
on flowers (seen on small thistles).  It is not a robberfly.  It has
huge eyes that comprise nearlythe entire head.  It's the size of a
medium to small bumblebee worker.
Does anyone know what this guy is?  All my books are packed away...

2. Probably everyone else figured this out long ago.  But below is a good
way to get a clse look at a live bee in the field:

Net the bee.  Transfer it into one of those clear plastic vials with
the foam plugs that lab people use to raise fruit flies in.
Push the plug almost all the way to the bottom, so bee is semi-squashed
against the clear bottom of the vial, so it can't buzz around.  great
way to get a look at the head or legs.  Remove foam with tweezers when
done.

Good hunting all out there -
Liz Day