text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
" After feeding each hive this fall I concerning open feeding next this
spring to cut down on my work load.  I would like some feed back on
the pros and cons of this feeding method. "

Bill Hughes
-----------------

Open feeding is becoming more and more popular in Canada.

First remark :  open feeding should not be recommended in areas where there are other beehives within flight range unless the other beekeeper(s) agrees.  You can end up feeding the neighbor's hives.  too bad for you but too bad for the neighbor also you feed before he removes his honey supers.  Also consider that your neighbor's bees may not want the medications you add to your syrup !  Practically I think that few areas are suitable for open feeding.  Canada is probably an exception with its low hive concentration.

Otherwise I think open feeding is good.  It has many advantages.

*** PROS :

- feeding can be done earlier in the season.  You can distribute the syrup in all your yards before you even pull your honey (keep a closed lid on the barrels).  Just remove the lid as your harvest.

-  each hive will take syrup according to its need

-  this is a cheap delivery mode : no feeders to buy, carry back and forth or clean.  Very little labor involved.

*** CONS:
-  varroa would probably spread  faster in a apiary if you barrel feed. (This is an assumption.)  I do not really think that it would be a vector for other diseases. 

Use straw (2-4 inches) on top of the syrup to avoid the loss of bees by drowning.  Wood floaters are not as good :  more dead bees and slower delivery of the syrup than straw.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL REGULATIONS...

Jean-Pierre CHAPLEAU
bee breeder
[log in to unmask]
1282, rang 8, St-Adrien (QC)
Canada J0A 1C0
(819) 828-3396; fax: (819) 828-0357

ATOM RSS1 RSS2