From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:50:07 -0500
Hi Peter and bee-L memebers:

We use 250 ml of 65% formic acid as a single application. A fiber board
(Made in Canada) (8"x 8.5"x 5/8") is placed inside a perforated veggie bag.
The perforated bag has 700 pen holes in each side. The formic acid is
absorbed in the pad. The pad is placed on sticks (4"x0.5" x0.5") on the top
bars. This to keep the pads away from the bee cluster. This will require
adding a rim 1-1.5" under the inner cover to accommodate the pad. The
application time is 3 weeks.

In our experiments and Ontario beekeepers' experiences we have not had any
queen kill for the last 4 years. Again, I would say recommendations have to
be adjusted to the location. No single recommendation will fir all. It is a
temperature dependant treatment. Peter mentioned "In other branches of
agricultural industry agreed dates are stipulated for various treatments
(eg. Sheep dipping in England - or at least used to be so!). Hey Peter, we
working with bees not sheeps!!!! (Happy new year, When will I see you
again?).

For Maria van den Berg from Alberta, I assume that you are using the
Mitewipe multiple application pads. In this application you apply 40ml/pad/
hive. It is applied every  4 days. When I developed this pad, I found that 3
applications are good for tracheal mites and 6 applications are good for
varroa mites. So, you are following the recommendation for applying formic
for tracheal mites and Apistan for varroa. I understand your statement that
there is no time to remove the strips in your part of the world. This
statement goes again with my statement on the top. There is no single
recommendation fit all. We should not have a global recommendation for a
miticide to fit all beekeeping practices and weather conditions.

Med

Medhat Nasr, Ph. D.
Blueberry and Cranberry Research Center
Rutgers University,