Date:
Mon, 30 May 2011 16:34:49 -0400
You may well be right, Bill.

Also, I had transported these hives 400 miles on the 17th, and observed this on the this on the 28th.

The bees which looked sluggish and seemed to be lacking energy to move and were therefore being stranded outside appeared young. The crawlers may have been something else.  Don't know. They were gone soon after.

Maybe something happened to the brood which became that cohort during transit.  Maybe they were chilled or overheated, or jostled while beginning pupation.  Who knows?  Maybe they hatched, but were just not 100%.

Anyhow, the phenomenon was over within hours and the hives were strong enough and good to split in half today.

Rather than go into this here, I'll mention that I have documented all this, and more, in my diary at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary

Another thing of interest there right now is my experiment in repairing BeeMax boxes and the new Meijer EPS boxe.  The BeeMax boxes just naturally break duew to weak design.  The Meijer box broke because I ran over it with my forklift.  All are as a good as new now, I think.