From:
paul basehore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 09:54:25 -0600
At 02:38 PM 11/27/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> DAVID EYRE WROTE:
>>
>> Good news! I would just wish that rather than tempting us with half
>> details we could get the complete story (with sub-titles) and
>> methodology.
>>         Come on Brian, don't be shy tell us how YOU do it!

>> The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
>> Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
>> Phone/fax  705-326-7171
>> David Eyre, Owner.
>> http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks
>> e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
>
>  HI DAVID AND BEE-L RECIPIENTS!
>I have followed Dr. Rodriquez's recommendations almost exactly as he
>describes them. I use a honey bear filled with MO, then open my hives
>apply some smoke to drive the bee's down the frames and quickly apply a
>small bead right on top of the frames, being careful not to drown a bee in
>it. I then use my fingers to spread it evenly on top. I have also prepared
>grease patties with just a 1:1 ratio of Crisco and sugar and keep patties
>on at all times above the brood chamber.
>    When I have found varroa I applied the MO. once a week until I
>couldn't find any then just every other week or every three weeks now. I
>realize that big operations would not be able to give as much attention as
>I have to my hives, but I don't think that there is any other way of
>keeping the bee's covered with MO to be as affective.

I use two other methods which have been as effective.  First I soak a roll
of blue shop towles like the kind you can get at Wall Mart in the FGMO for
an hour then lay one sheet across the top bars in each brood chamber. It
takes the bees about a month or longer depending if it is in the middle of
winter or summer to remove this. Much easier quicker and is as effective.
Large operations can do it this way and it will be cost and time effective.
 Second method is staple a thick piece of cloth on the landing board at the
hive enterence so it extends about a half inch into the hive. Use the bear
to apply the FGMO to this cloth and as the bees go in and out they get
treated. In winter this is not effective so I use the blue shop towel method
in winter and summer.

Paul Bashore in Okla. City 15 hives and growing