From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:57:07 -0500
>I have a hive that collected a full box of pollen (10 frames). Those
frames are all in the bottom box, so I wonder if I should let them for
winter or if I should replace them by empty frames to be filled with
syrup.

For sure pull the frames of pollen down to what you think the bees will need
in spring. We see the situation in Missouri in certain years.

>Would that pollen box be detrimental for wintering ?

Possibly. The bees need carbs to *heat*  the nest and not protein which is
what pollen is.

I do not know your wintering needs but I suspect in Canada a full box of
pollen would be a  problem if you winter in two deeps. It would be in
Missouri. Save the frames of pollen for spring splits.

We pull frames of honey in spring also. Especially with the Russians &
carniolans!

Many claim their Russian & Carniolans are slow to start in spring. Duh!

The queen needs some empty comb to lay. Give her room and she will lay when
fresh pollen comes in if not before. How can she lay if the box is full of
frames of honey or especially pollen!. The Russians /carniolans winter on a
small cluster and it takes time for the bees to USE enough stores for a
large scale brood production unless you give the bees room!

Leave alone beekeeping is for *natural beekeepers* . Chase those swarms!

 I am grumpy today (hope note as bad as my friend George I.) as I am working
on the bee farm B------g at the help today!

The bee yard is my favorite place to be on a beautiful day like today!

"Swarming often blamed on race should be blamed on beekeeper in spring for
leaving the hive honey and pollen bound!"

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison